Post by Muleskinner on May 3, 2012 11:54:48 GMT -8
Thats the revell unit K-Whopper and the mirrors are a real b----- to get on. I kept the mirror section and scrapped the rest of it and then fabricated a set of mirror brackets out of brass wire. They were a lot stronger and looked a lot better. As for the Aussie type mirrors they are supposed to hang out just behind the Breather extentions on the Air Breather, giving them a set froward type look.
William W Bitner II
Scratch building is the art of taking some plastic, wood, metal, ect., and a few tools to create reality on a small scale.
Well, it's almost done. I decided to go ahead and make my own mirror mounts. The sprue was missing the top part of one mirror assembly and one other piece was broken. After putting together the one complete mirror mount and test fitting it it just looked like crap. It sat WAY too far forward for my liking and was touching the breather, so I tossed the whole lot and built my own. And what a pain in the butt that was. Not so much the building, since I can usually eye things close to spot on, but getting them to sit properly while the glue dried so they weren't all saggy.
Got the job done though. Just a few minor touch ups, some weathering, a bit of clear coat and a final glue down and it'll be all finished with pics forthcoming.
I know you guys are getting antsy, and so am I (and I'm sure the missus is tired of hearing me say, "It's almost done.), but... It's still not done. Decided to do a little plumbing. Nothing serious, but just a little to give it a little more detail.
In the mean time, here's a camera phone pic of the cab with the new mirrors to tide you over. Also, before anyone points out that the rego sticker is in the wrong place, I had a brain malfunction, and didn't even realize I had put it in the wrong place until I had already glued the windshield in. Yes, I slapped my forehead.