I've been waiting to do this until my KW logger is done but I guess that I can toss up a couple of pics of where I am on this one. I bought the Truckweld box on E-bay a long time ago and it's been just sitting on my desk so not long ago I decided that it needed to go with a Pete as they come stock with a Kenworth so I stretched the Pete frame about 1 1/2 inches to accomadate the Truckweld box. I broke the bottom part of the dump cylinder so I have to get some tubing from William to repair it but the truck farme is now ready for paint. Have a look..........................
Just like anything like this, if it sits around the shop long enough it'll collect junk and in this case scrap lumber from a Great Dane trailer that I have cut the interior paneling for from bass wood to make it simulate real plywood interior walls. ...........................................
Post by Muleskinner on Apr 5, 2012 12:47:29 GMT -8
Was wondering when you were going to get around to posting this, as I like it very much. As far as the tubing for the lower hydro unit, i broke one of them also and replaced it with tubing only to have it break again. I recomend a piece of brass tubing the same general size and then flare it on the end a little with a small nail or center punch so it will stay in the upper cylinder and then build the lower pivot point for it. When they make those small diameter rods for these dump units, they have a tendacy over the years from mevement of breaking.
Try the brass first, if you would still like the tubing I will get it to you.
Post by ap40rocktruck on Apr 5, 2012 13:22:24 GMT -8
nice, the box is a natural for the set forward front axle chassis, especially the PACCAR family.
As for the cylinder, if gluing is a concern, then combine the 2, with a brass liner inside a thin wall styrene tube. I only use solid aluminum rod for the final stage, and aluminum tubing for all the others.
That is looking good. I always wanted to get one of those dump bodies, so I could spray it with semi gloss and make an asphalt hauler out of it. Oh and I really want to see your trailer when you get it paneled!! Gator
Oh! I tried some Elmers Glue All beings I was gluing wood but I got in a hurry and I know better and the panels warped so now I'm using Gorilla glue and it's working but I am taking my time. Maybe have a pic up in a day or two. Mike
Gator.............. I promised photo's of my paneling on the interior of my Great Dane trailer. I cut it to scale and glued it in with Gorilla Glue. Not the best job I've done but not the worst either. Also a pic of the nose and trailer doors detailed for the project. Mike