Post by Joris Scholte on Apr 21, 2012 5:44:54 GMT -8
OK, here's my first Work In Progress. I won't bother you with old WIP-threads of the builds I've posted here; too much old posts to copy-paste and for you to sift through.
Recently I started out on a new build, a Western Star Daycab. You guys tell me the type, because I don't know it.
I use the Italeri LAFD Heavy Wrecker kit; the wrecker body will go on a Pete 377 one day, in LAFD livery.
I scratchbuilt a daycab panel from Evergreen sheet and strip material, since I don't want to use that generic Freightliner sleeper box. Here's the panel, I know it might not be 100% correct, but that's fine with me; it'll do:
In 2010 I tried to build a WS truck as well, but I had issuses in assembling the cab. Since I bought that kit very cheap for parts use, frustrated with the cab assembly, I abandoned the project and canned the body parts. So on this one, I thought to start with the cab, if that would work out I'll complete the truck. I know, wussy-approach.... ;D
Post by Joris Scholte on Apr 21, 2012 5:47:26 GMT -8
Too bad about the patch-up on the paint showing, but that color is a drag to touch up; I didn't feel like spraying it all over again, I'm sure the mess would have been worse. At least I got the cab together.
This means that this build will continue. ;D Still no definite idea of the way it's going to go, but I never mind improvising.
Post by Joris Scholte on Apr 21, 2012 5:53:33 GMT -8
I added a stripe along the side, more or less to mask the touch ups on the cowl. Nothing too fancy, after all this is going to be a work truck.
Of course, the curse of the WS caught up with me; the seats came loose in the cab, I had to cut off the roof to correct it. I cut the frame down, it is going to be a mighty short tractor. Maybe, if I can find diamond plate styrene sheet, I'll go and scratchbuild a headache rack.
Post by Joris Scholte on Apr 21, 2012 8:04:37 GMT -8
Thanks Eddy! I used a pic from truckpaper.com for reference. It's not 100% like the real one, but good enough for me. And if I get the material for a headache rack together, it won't show that much anyway!
Here's the frame, freshly painted, I only need to put red on the taillights and flat black on the air bags. Of course I shot myself in the foot (again), with cutting the frame extremely short. I have to cut down the fuel tanks big time! Oh well, at least a good way to make sure the seam on them doesn't show that much...
Post by Joris Scholte on Apr 21, 2012 12:43:38 GMT -8
The cab is a complete sonuva..., well you know what, to assemble. Had this Constellation kit bought for spare parts back then. Decided to build it anyway, but a paint faillure and cab fitting issues caused me to abandon that one.
Post by Joris Scholte on Apr 23, 2012 10:12:01 GMT -8
Here's the cut-down fuel tanks, primed. The left hand side is shorter than the right hand, since the battery box is on the frame as well. Inadvertently, the right hand side has a step that is a bit misaligned, looks like it took a hit somewhere; staying with the used fleet-look here, I gues...
Post by Joris Scholte on Apr 24, 2012 6:44:53 GMT -8
Thanks guys! Over here my choices in primer are limited to two options. The El Cheapo Chinacrap or the more expensive Revell of Germany. The RoG is much better, but I never had issues with paint sticking to it before. I hope it's just a one time thing...